Saturday, May 9, 2015

Beaches

Last night Kelly and I found ourselves with nothing to do, which was a real miracle considering we are the two busiest humans on the planet. We are lucky if we can carve out 20 minutes a week for a solid lunch date. But grasping the opportunity at hand, we decided to have a low-key girls night and watch a movie. 

Being the worst friend ever, I made her watch Beaches with me... a favorite of mine since I watched it with my mom a few years ago. Naturally, I gave her no warning of the emotional journey she was about to take, and by the end we were both a miserable, teary mess. (In a good way. Obviously.)

I think you experience that movie a different way every time you watch it. No matter what, you're going to cry (unless you're a sociopath), but it always hits you in a different spot. This time, it made me so thankful for everything I have in my life. My (incredible) friends, my health, my experiences,  my opportunities... but most of all, my momma. 



Jody, as she is referred to famously by basically the entire Marist College campus, is my rock. I won't bore you with the classic she's my number one fan, there for me through it all, blah blah blah, (although that's all true). What I will say is she is my biggest source of support and strength. She is the true champion of handling whatever life throws at her and coming out on top (despite her sometimes questionable footwear. It's time to retire the "fancy crocs," mom).  

I'm so thankful for the relationship I have with my mom because I think it's one that every girl should have and many don't. I am lucky to be able to tell her everything and have complete trust that she'll support me, always. She's my safety blanket, my best girlfriend, my cheerleader and my ultimate role model. We definitely have our differences, but I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.  

Maybe it's been a long week, or maybe Mother's Day Eve just solicited some raw emotion during this particular viewing of Beaches. Nonetheless HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to my beautiful momma and all the other moms out there!! (And sorry, Kel for the emotional ambush! Love you too!) 

This montage recently resurfaced that describes our relationship to a T... 












1 comment:

  1. LOVE YOU! and I appreciate the emotional ambush...Beaches was freakin good/worth it. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, JODY!

    ReplyDelete